The indisputable advantages of acrylic paints lead them to the leading positions among other types of paints during repair work. The study of the composition and properties will help you choose the right products for wall finishing in a specific situation. A familiarity with the technology of application is useful in case of self-coloration.
Characteristics and composition of acrylic wall paints
The popularity of acrylic paints is fully justified. Finishing material has a wide range of applications due to its ability to be applied to various surfaces. Acrylic paint for walls quickly dries and retains a pristine appearance for a long period. It is resistant to frost, not afraid of the rays of the sun and moisture. Absence of toxic secretions makes it possible to use it for walls and ceilings of children's rooms. A wide color palette is achieved by tinting the white ink with various coloring pigments. Numerous advantages of acrylic mixtures are due to their composition.
Acrylic paints have a synthetic base in the form of an acrylic polymer emulsion, which serves as a binding element between the pigment and water. But that the material for the decoration of the walls was strong, stable before contamination, retained its color, one acrylic emulsion is not enough. Therefore, various fillers and pigments are additionally introduced into the composition, which are responsible for the qualitative adhesion, water resistance, vapor permeability and other practical qualities of the product.
In addition to the correct proportion of the various constituents of acrylic paints for walls, the pigment performance also plays a role. Its amount directly affects the hiding power and, accordingly, the paint consumption. Lightfastness depends on quality. Pigments are of an artificial and natural origin. In the first case, the metal salts give the acrylic paint juicy and vivid colors.
Organic pigments contribute to the creation of soft pastel shades, as can be seen from the photo:
In addition to the pigment, the composition of acrylic mixtures contains special stabilizers and coalescent substances. These elements ensure the convenience of applying and preserving the properties of paint for walls for a long period.
Depending on the composition, the acrylic mixture for walls has different characteristics:
- Special additives allow the use of washable matte paint for facade decoration.
- Separate substances ensure high-quality staining of metal surfaces without the use of anticorrosive compounds in the preliminary stage.
- The presence of antiseptics and fungicides is necessary when painting wooden plots.
- It is better to decorate walls in country houses with acrylic paint containing insecticides. This will prevent damage to the treated surface by insects.
This is not the whole range of possibilities that acrylic mixtures possess, depending on the composition modification.
Winning sides of paint based on acrylic
Water in acrylic paint serves as a solvent. After painting the walls, it dries out, and the mixture of polymer emulsion and pigment turns into a thin film. The plastic layer has excellent adhesion and reliably protects the wall from external influences. For the coating of acrylic paint the following useful properties are characteristic:
- Elasticity and plasticity.
- Thermal resistance. Provides quality external facade decoration, the film does not crack at low temperatures.
- Resistance to solar radiation. Decorative cover for a long time preserves the original color range, does not fade and does not burn out.
- Water resistance, Thanks to which acrylic paints for bathroom walls are optimal. They easily withstand the cleaning and washing procedures.
- Durability. The polymer film does not deteriorate for 10-20 years.
- Easy to apply. One layer completely dries out in 2-4 hours, after which they proceed to the next stage. Tools after work are easily cleaned.
- Lack of a sharp odor during operation and toxic emissions throughout the life of the product. This allows you to design an original child's room without causing harm to health.
- A rich palette of shades is appreciated by professionals and makes possible the embodiment of any design ideas into reality.
Bright examples of decorative design of the walls are presented in the photo:
Scope of application
The diverse composition of acrylic paints makes it possible to use them for various purposes. When choosing, you should be guided by the type of surface to be painted. For example, paints for facade work are designed for decoration of brick, concrete, plastered and wooden walls. For high-quality adhesion, the treated area is pre-cleaned from the old coating, dirt and primed.
The grouping of properties of alkyd enamels and acrylic paints is presented in the table:
Acrylic products for indoor use are used in rooms with a normal level of humidity. Regardless of whether the wall is brick, plastered, covered with plasterboard or wallpapered wallpaper, the coating falls equally qualitatively.
There are special types of acrylic paints for processing:
- metal surfaces;
- doors and windows.
That is, despite the universality, certain types of work require a special approach when choosing a paint. This will ensure the quality and durable coverage.
Attention is also drawn to the subsequent appearance of the product, whether the wall is matte or glossy. The gloss effect guarantees not only an attractive appearance, but also an increased strength of the acrylic film in comparison with matte analogues. This is ensured by a large content of resin in the composition of the product. When the pigment prevails, the paint comes out matte.
Glossy coating reliably prevents the penetration of dirt and facilitates easy cleaning of the wall surface. This is especially valuable for a bathroom. This design visually increases the space of the room. A significant lack of gloss: the wall or ceiling should be perfectly even, otherwise all the defects will become particularly noticeable.
Nuances of determining the flow
Correctly calculate the consumption of acrylic paint will help the manufacturer's recommendations located on the package. Usually they are presented at the rate of 1 liter per square meter.
An important factor in determining the paint consumption is the method of applying to the wall:
- The most economical is the use of a spray gun.
- Then follows the roller.
- Using a brush to decorate the wall with acrylic paint significantly increases its consumption.
Concrete or plastered wall refers to porous substrates, therefore the amount of used paint will increase by 5-15% from the indicated indicator on the package.
The next aspect in determining the consumption is the quality and, accordingly, the cost of acrylic products. The high price implies a good hiding power of the paint, that is, to completely cover the original color of the wall, two layers are sufficient. Cheap analogs will cope with the task for at least three layers. Therefore, a lower consumption of expensive products will save money.
In addition to acrylic paint, for the design of walls necessarily require a suitable primer, putty and tools for application.
Technology of painting walls
Avoid the banal paper pasting wallpaper and create an individual design room will help decorative acrylic paint. The modern way of interior design has a lot of advantages:
- The presence of pets greatly facilitates the process of repairing the damaged surfaces of the walls in comparison with the version of wallpaper.
- Competently chosen color scale will visually increase the small-sized space.
- The paint of walls on an acrylic base gives a wide space of imagination at registration of a premise.
Preparatory works include the following stages:
- Complete removal of the old coating. Advice! The presence of significant irregularities serves as the basis for preliminary wall finishing with plasterboard.
- In other cases, the surface is shpaklyuyut composition of medium density.
- When the starting layer is completely dry, grind the abrasive skin. Optimum use of average grain size.
- The wall is treated with a primer.
- The surface is pasted with fiberglass, the second name of the material is "spiderweb". The process is conducted in a room without drafts, the work is done with special glue. This stage is not mandatory, but significantly increases the strength of the coating with acrylic paint.
- In a day they start finishing shpatlevke.
- As with the first layer, after drying, it needs to be ground with a sandpaper, the grain size of which does not exceed 150 units.
At this preparation of the walls for decoration with acrylic paint is completed and you can proceed to the main stage. Initially, the wall is treated with a primer composition of deep penetration. The application of acrylic paint begins with a brush from the places of separation between the walls and the ceiling, as well as the corners of the room. In conclusion, the walls are stained with a roller or spray gun in two layers with the necessary time for drying.
On this simple work on the design of walls with acrylic paints is completed. If you want to have an art painting, you should invite professionals to work. But the result will delight and delight the eye for a long time.
How to choose decorative paint for walls
How to choose silicone paint for walls
How to choose oil paint for walls
How to choose wall paint for walls