Many summer residents try to provide themselves for the whole year with self-grown vegetables. But due to climatic features, it is not always possible to achieve this goal in those areas that are located in the northern regions of our country. An excellent solution to this problem is the construction of a greenhouse on the garden plot.
True, not all truck farmers have the financial opportunity to buy a ready factory greenhouse. For such people, the way out of the situation can be the construction of greenhouses made of plastic pipes with their own hands.
You can construct and build a greenhouse of plastic pipes yourself, without resorting to outside help. And to serve such a greenhouse of plastic pipes will be throughout the year, several seasons in a row. An obvious advantage when building greenhouses from plastic pipes is the prevalence, long service life and low cost of polypropylene products.
Choosing a place for construction
Choosing the future place for building a greenhouse from plastic pipes, it is necessary to take into account a number of factors affecting the quality and quantity of the future crop.
There are the following options for placing the future greenhouse of plastic pipes in the garden:
- To place a greenhouse made of plastic pipes, created by one's own hands, is necessary in the open space, far from other site constructions and large garden trees. Such an arrangement can be combined with the arrangement around the greenhouse of small bushes and plants. This will add aesthetic appeal to the construction.
- If due to the small area of the plot there is no possibility to use the open space of sufficient area, it is possible to provide for the location of the greenhouse with the adjoining one side to the wall of the already erected building, house or shed. In this case, an important condition is the location of the other sides of the greenhouse on the south side in order to obtain the maximum amount of sunlight.
The most common form in the construction of a greenhouse made of plastic pipes is the arched construction. This is due primarily to ease in construction and relative cheapness.
Choosing the form for the construction of a future greenhouse made of plastic pipes, it is necessary to take into account the features of the garden plot and the location chosen for the installation of the structure.
If the greenhouse of plastic pipes will be located in an open space, it is better to stop on a gable model. In the case where the greenhouse will be adjacent to one side of the wall of the existing structure, it is more expedient to stop the choice on a single-deck model.
The base of the greenhouse can be made in different geometric shapes, be it a square, a rectangle, a circle, an oval or a trapezoid. Recently, greenhouse in the form of a tent is gaining popularity.
Pros and cons of buildings made of plastic pipes
The construction of a greenhouse made of plastic pipes has several advantages over structures made of other materials:
- due to sufficient tightness inside the greenhouse, a favorable environment is created for the full growth and ripening of vegetables and fruits;
- the construction of greenhouses made of polypropylene pipes does not require significant effort, which is facilitated by the simplicity and ease of the material used;
- using special fasteners and latches the design of the greenhouse made of plastic can be easily disassembled or assembled at any time. Thus, it will not be difficult to disassemble the greenhouse in the shortest possible time and not use it in the winter, when it is not used for its intended purpose;
- When building a greenhouse made of plastic pipes, there is no need to use additional reinforcing materials. Properties and characteristics of polypropylene pipes will create a stable and reliable design;
- plastic is much more resistant to decay and corrosion than, for example, wood or metal. The properties of this material will make it possible to do without compulsory treatment of the elements of the product with protective substances;
- The design of the greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes can last more than 10 years due to the durability of this material.
The main and, apparently, the only drawback in the construction of a greenhouse made of plastic pipes is its ease. This can lead to the swing of the entire structure in strong winds. At the same time, this problem can be solved by using additional metal rods driven into the ground to strengthen the structure.
Materials and tools needed to build
Before you make a greenhouse of plastic pipes, you need to calculate the necessary materials and tools. It is recommended to do this immediately after determining the location on the site for future construction. Such measures will help to avoid additional costs already at the construction stage of the facility.
So, for work you will need:
- Cant or boards for the formation of the base of the greenhouse. It is recommended to treat the wooden elements with special protective substances before the construction starts, which will protect the tree from decay. Tip! To save money, it is recommended to use non-proprietary professional tools for wood processing, and improvised ones. For example, impregnate the wooden beams with resin, several times cover with linseed oil, treat with a blowtorch.
- Polypropylene pipes. It is necessary to calculate how many linear meters it will take to build a greenhouse. For a more accurate calculation when building greenhouses of plastic pipes with your own hands, it is recommended to draw a drawing of the future design. After obtaining a certain plastic footage, you can add 10% of the total length for the stock.
- Polyethylene film is used to cover the polypropylene structure. It should be strong enough. High strength will save it from ruptures and allow using several seasons.
- Several metal rods. The reinforcement must be at least 1 m long.
- Nails and screws.
- Handles with locks and hinges for the device in the greenhouse doors and windows.
- Additional metal hinges for fixing individual plastic elements of the structure.
Construction of a greenhouse
If at the stage of counting the materials used a detailed drawing of the future structure was drawn up, then you can immediately proceed directly to the construction of the greenhouse. Otherwise, it is recommended to draw up a detailed construction scheme - this will greatly simplify and accelerate construction work.
Before you make a greenhouse of plastic pipes, you need to create a foundation. Under the future foundation of the greenhouse you need a flat flat area with a small depression. Therefore, before beginning the work, it is necessary to level the soil and make a small depression a few centimeters. As a material for the foundation, you can use either boards or a wooden beam.
To strengthen the foundation of the future design, it is recommended to use additional metal staples or corners. The metal corner is fixed on each internal joint of wooden boards. If a bar is used as a material for the basis of the greenhouse, it is more appropriate to use staples that are driven into each external joint of the structural elements.
The finished foundation must be laid firmly on the ground prepared for it. If there are cracks between the foundation and the ground, they must be sprinkled with earth.
Mounting the frame
After the construction of the foundation, it is necessary to drive metal reinforcement into the ground in its outer perimeter with a step of not more than 100 cm. Pre-prepared and cut lengths of a plastic pipe of the required length are placed on these metal rods.
To secure plastic pipes, self-tapping screws are used, with which the base of the pipe must be pulled to the wooden foundation. As the connecting elements in the horizontal plane of the construction, plastic couplings, corners and crossings are used, which must be drilled internally. This will allow the pipes to pass through the connecting elements.
Creating a Roof
Choosing the material for the construction of the greenhouse roof, it is necessary to take into account the features of some of the most common options:
- Optimal and common material for covering the greenhouse is polyethylene film. If the financial capacity allows you can use a special reinforced polyvinyl chloride film as a cover. This material has good thermal insulation, which will maintain the desired temperature in the hotbed even at night. At the same time, this material has a high transparency and allows up to 95% of sunlight in the daytime.
- The polycarbonate roof has the longest service life, but it has a higher price and can cause additional difficulties in the construction. In addition, such a roof can not be quickly dismantled, in contrast to polyethylene.
- Textile material for the "agrotex" type covering has low thermal insulation. True, the lightness and simplicity of this material allow the assembly and dismantling work in the shortest possible time.
Summing up, we can say that the option of independent construction of a hothouse made of plastic pipes on the garden plot is the most acceptable option. Such designs have a number of undeniable advantages. These include the lightness and strength of the structure, its durability, the ease of installation and dismantling. In addition, such greenhouses in the end are the cheapest option, and from an aesthetic point of view, they are not inferior to expensive factory analogues.
What you need to consider when building a greenhouse of plastic pipes with your own hands we learn in the next video
How to make drip irrigation in the country
How to properly equip the greenhouse inside
How to make a greenhouse from a galvanized profile
How to build your own winter greenhouse