Roofing mastic allows you to equip the roof without roll materials, thereby shortening the deadline for work without loss of quality. The main advantage of the mastic coating before the roll is the absence of seams.
Where mastics are used:
- construction of a new mastic roof;
- repair of roofs: leveling of concrete or cement screed, removal of potholes with depth no more than 5 mm on a roll roof;
- waterproofing in the construction of swimming pools and fountains, laying tiles;
- corrosion protection of metal structures;
- sticking of roll materials for roofing;
- waterproofing at the joints of roofing with parapets, chimney, ventilation, rainwater funnels.
Mastics are applicable for all types of roofs: slate, tile, metal sloped, roll, reinforced concrete and others.
Types of Mastics
Mastic is obtained by mixing astringent organic substances with mineral fillers and technological additives. On drying, the mastic forms an elastic waterproof film.
According to the method of use, mastics are of two types:
- cold - do not require special preparation at a temperature above +5 ° C, you only need to stir;
if the temperature is lower, the mastic warms up to 60-70 ° C;
- Hot - preheated to the desired temperature.
Both species have good moisture resistance and adhesive properties. Some mastics prevent the occurrence of mold and fungi. More often cold substances are used, hot ones are used mainly for gluing of roll materials based on bitumen.
Types of mastics differ in the type of binder:
Bitumen-polymer and bitumen-latex mastics are very popular.
Bitumen-polymer has high strength and flexibility, prevents the development of mold and fungus.
The composition is indispensable for sealing joints between strips of roll material and joints of roofing with perpendicularly passing pipes. When the composition is hardened, a film without joints and seams is formed, which retains its tightness even when the roof is deformed. It is applied easily, like a paint.
Bitumen-latex mastic is a two-component composition obtained by mixing bitumen and latex emulsions before application.
Advantages of this type:
- the material has a finely dispersed structure, so it spreads evenly over the surface, penetrates into all hard-to-reach places;
- latex gives the composition an enviable elasticity - can stretch 5 times;
- application to the surface of any shape, even without prior preparation;
- high adhesion and heat resistance of the coating;
- it is possible to add a pigment to vary the color of the roof.
The disadvantages include the ability to crack and break when deformed in low temperature, so it is better not to subject to mechanical stress in the cold.
In bitumen mastics it is asbestos or its derivatives, finely divided brick, quartz or calcareous powder. The filler is also a reinforcing material in the composition of the mastic, ensuring its strength when deformed.
Bitumen roofing mastic is used for gluing roofing material or pergamina, tar - for working with roofing felt.
By designation mastics are divided into several types:
- gluing for roofing and waterproofing coating;
- Used for mastic roofing;
- waterproofing and asphalt - used for vapor barrier;
- to protect the foil-isol layer from corrosion
According to the cooled state, materials are distinguished:
- remaining soft.
According to the method of dilution, roofing mastics are divided into three types:
- mix with water;
- with organic solvents;
- with solvents containing liquid organic substances.
According to the consistency of materials are:
One-component mastic is a ready-made solvent-based composition, the evaporation of volatile substances which triggers the solidification mechanism. The container in which such formulations are sold must be sealed to prevent premature hardening of the mastic.
This does not apply to polyurethane mastics, which solidify upon contact with water vapor present in the air. Cured polyurethane formulations retain their former size. Mastic remains for a year after opening with proper sealing of the closed container.
Two-component mastics consist of two substances that are mixed before use. Each component can be stored separately for up to a year.
All materials having a building value must meet the quality standards:
- Absence of large filler particles.
- The mass must be homogeneous.
- The content of harmful substances is regulated.
- Should be easy to use and easy to apply to the surface.
- Heat resistance - not below + 70 ° С.
- Bitumen-latex roofing mastic is waterproof and resistant to microorganisms.
- Adhesive-wrapped roll material should be firmly held.
- The service life of the material used is no less than the declared.
- Qualitative mastic though also dense, but is easier than water. The weight of the sold container with the material should not exceed the value of the volume, otherwise it is falsified.
Mastic bitumen for waterproofing the roof with their own hands
Relatively good material for waterproofing can be made independently, which will also save money.
To prepare the mastic by yourself, you will need:
- pieces of bitumen;
- a bit of brick and a metal vat;
- combustible material for the fire.
From the brick there is an impromptu vertical furnace, in the center of which a bonfire is kindled. A metal vat is placed on top of it, pieces of bitumen, previously shredded into small parts, are placed in it. The bitumen will melt into a liquid mass, from which an excess liquid will evaporate during the boiling process. During cooking, the mass must be stirred with a wooden stick, the pieces of garbage caught are caught. If foam ceases to act, then the excess liquid has evaporated and the bitumen is ready.
Chan with the mass is removed from the fire and you can prepare mastic. The time of full preparation is 3 hours.
By reducing the intensity of foaming, bitumen is gradually added to the bitumen, the composition is mixed. To increase the density of mastic, cement is added to it. The cooking temperature is not higher than 190 ° C. If bubbles of yellow or green shades appear, the container should be removed from the fire.
Liquid bitumen is poured into another metal container, mixed thoroughly with a liquid solvent based on gasoline or kerosene in equal proportions in the following order:
- The solvent tank has already been prepared.
- Bitumen is poured into the solvent in small portions, the mass is intensively mixed to homogeneity. This is how the mastic or primer is prepared.
For storage, the composition is poured into plastic containers without filler.
The process of making bitumen mastic can be viewed on video:
Roofing mastic cold application
- ready mix, which you just need to stir;
- does not require special equipment and skills for application;
- the level of harmful fumes in the air is much lower than from hot mastics.
The device and repair of the roof:
- The surface is cleaned of dust, dirt, ice adherence, cracks and potholes are fixed by the repair workers;
- treated with bituminous primer;
- the composition is applied by a thin layer with a rigid brush, roller, brush, spatula or in bulk, is leveled by the rule;
- The horizontal roof requires more layers of material, there is less water on the pitched roof, so the number of layers can be reduced;
- at the joints of the cover with the ventilation pipes, chimney, drain and in the places of the greatest accumulation of water it is recommended to strengthen the waterproofing with reinforcement made of fiberglass or glass fiber;
- to fill the blisters on the soft roof they are cut crosswise, the cavity is cleaned, dried and filled with mastic, after which the edges of the cut are joined and also covered with the composition;
- The last layer is sprinkled with gravel or coarse sand to protect against overheating;
- to cover the roof with ruberoid, the mastic serves as a reliable gluing material, both cold and hot.
Specifications of cold formulations of some manufacturers
The material is intended for sealing of cracks and seams in the roof covering, sealing of abutments, gluing of roll material, vapor barrier of roofing systems. Contains a herbicide that prevents the appearance of plants, mosses and lichens on the roof. Without toluene and other toxic substances.
- drying of the layer - up to 24 hours;
- non-volatile substances - 55%;
- the softening point of the dry residue is 90 ° C;
- with concrete - 0,2 MPa;
- with metal - 0,2 MPa;
- water intake in tech. 24 hours - 0.4%;
- does not crack at the corner with a radius of curvature of 5 mm at a temperature of -5 ° C;
- water resistance in the tech. 72 hours at a pressure of 0.001 MPa;
- consumption - 0,5 l / m2;
- the thickness of the layer is 0.5 mm.
Mastic water-based tehnonikol 33
Water emulsion bitumen product, modified with latex and polymer additives, without organic solvents.
- installation of mastic roofs;
- waterproofing of structures that are deepened into the ground or in contact with moisture;
- internal waterproofing of premises.
- adhesion with concrete - 0,6 MPa;
- conditional strength - 0,7 MPa;
- relative stretching at break - 900%;
- water absorption in tech. 24 hours - 0.4%;
- weight fraction of binder with emulsifier - 53-65%;
- maximum temperature withstand current. 5 hours - 140 ° C;
- does not give cracks in bending at corners with a radius of 5 mm rounding at -25 ° C;
- waterproof in tech. 24 hours under a pressure of 0.1 MPa;
- the setting time is 24-72 hours;
- maximum strength - after 3-7 days.
Roofing mastic for hot application
The main advantage of hot mastics is fast hardening. Roll materials, glued with such a composition, reliably hold in a few minutes.
Hot mastic is preheated to 160-180 ° C, applied with a spatula, brush or in bulk, leveled by the rule.
Characteristics of hot mastics of some manufacturers
Tehnonikol No. 41 (Eureka)
Bitumen-polymer mastic for repair, device and roof waterproofing. Supplied in a solid form.
- softening point is 105 ° C;
- Strength of gluing of rolled material with concrete and metal - 0,15 MPa;
- adhesion at a temperature of + 20 ° C:
- with concrete - 0,2 MPa;
- with metal - 0,25 MPa;
- adhesion at -20 ° C:
- with concrete - 0,8 MPa;
- with metal - 1 MPa;
- the strength of the gluing shift is 4 kN / m;
- water absorption in tech. 24 hours - 1%;
- conditional strength - 0.2 MPa;
- relative stretching at break - 1100%;
Mastic is designed for gluing the roll material, sealing potholes and cracks in the roof with a depth of up to 5 mm and lubricating waterproofing.
Supplied in briquettes in the form of solid pieces of oxidized bitumen. Before application, it is melted and cooked at a temperature of 160-180 ° C with constant stirring. Apply to the cleaned primed surface.
- Packing weight - 20-40 kg;
- softening point - 85 ° С;
- adhesion with concrete and metal - 0.1 MPa;
- the strength of the gluing shift is 4 kN / m.
To properly carry out the processing of the roof mastic, one way or another, you need experience and skill. If they are not available, it is better to contact the specialists-roofer.
Mastic bituminous cold application with their own hands
We choose the best varnish for wood with external and internal works
How to choose an odorless bathroom paint
Bitumen mastic Technonikol, technical characteristics