Every inhabitant of the old house faced the problem of a creaky wooden floor. The reason for this are many factors that can be easily eliminated by independent forces. It is enough to know the information, why the wooden floor creaks, what are the causes of this problem, and how to eliminate unpleasant squeaks.
The reasons for the appearance of the violin
Wooden wooden floors lie on logs, which, with time and during walking, become blurred, so they begin to creak. Especially the problem becomes noticeable at night, when it is necessary to quietly walk through the room, and as a result all household members wake up.
To start repair and properly perform the work, you need to analyze why the wooden floor creaks in the apartment. Most often, the answer is hidden in the design itself, since several options have been used to lay the wooden floor in old houses.
The first option involves bars of wood or logs, which were laid on a concrete surface, and the distance between the wooden products was 40 cm. For plywood, or plywood, or, in addition, sheets of fiberboard.
The second option was to fasten the wooden boards on top of the logs, which were attached to the concrete floor.
Combining these two options is that the wooden products were lying in a horizontal position and represented bars, not more than 4 cm in thickness. Their main function was not only the basis for the plating, they also created an offset from the wall of the concrete slab so that the floor could "breathe" . The upper layer of the floor with the internal wooden beams was joined by the most simple nails, which eventually become unstable during operation, and the attachment ceases to be dense, the floor begins to creak.
Why does a new floor or parquet creak?
Publish squeaky unpleasant sounds can and the old floor, and a new floor covering. The main problem of the newly installed wooden floor is that the flat surface is not sustained and the internal structures begin to move. It is very easy to check, and for this it is enough to put a perfectly flat wooden part on the floor. If there are gaps, then the reason is in them, and you have to work with them, and from there you hear a squeak. In this case, to get rid of the sound, the floorboard and the log are drilled, the wooden beam is clogged in the hole and the place is ground. For the entire area of the wooden floor, this method is not suitable, but for one twice it will be an excellent solution.
The main reasons for the creaking in the expensive parquet are incorrect work done, poor-quality wooden material, which could be raw. But this is not a problem, it can be eliminated.
Errors that can increase squeaking
Many masters, believe that to eliminate the scratch of the wooden floor is simple, enough to nail it with nails. This method will provide silence no more than a month or two. Then the sound will appear again, but very few people worry about it.
This is explained by the fact that in places of sex where there is a strong tension of wooden logs, the nails are swinging and coming out. Therefore, if there is not enough time to repair, the best option is to use long screws.
Another big mistake is made when the sheets of chipboard are laid on the old wooden floor.
Possible options for combating the creaky sex
To begin with, the most radical and effective way to get rid of annoying squeaks is to completely replace the floor covering. New wooden floors will be for a long period of time to perform their functions without requiring additional repairs, but they will pour out a pretty penny. Replacing the wooden floor - this is a radical change in the apartment, the cost of extra money for the purchase of materials, their delivery, as well as payment for the labor of the masters. Even an inexpensive version of the coating requires large additional costs of uncertain size.
Another known method of solving the creaking is the replacement of the wooden floor with a screed, on top of which you can put ceramic tiles, linoleum, laminate, parquet or wooden products. Decent decision, but when the house has small children, linoleum or tiles will be given cold, if not put an additional layer or install heating. An additional layer can be expanded clay, GVL or extruded polystyrene, the material is expensive and the installation will take a lot of effort, as well as time.
An affordable and inexpensive option to combat scratches is to replace the plywood with a plywood, which is fixed with screws. But if the lags look terrible, then they will have to be replaced. Coverage will still have to completely remove, update the wooden floors, but after that, with time, the coating will again squeak.
Specific tips on what to do if creak floors
There are several effective methods that will help solve the problem and eliminate the creak of the wooden floor. It's not such an easy thing, but any newcomer at home can handle it. The main task, to choose the right technology, is most suitable for a particular floor covering, given the material that was used and what it is quality.
- First of all, you need to think not only about the problem, but also about the appearance of wooden boards. The scrape can be removed with the help of graphite powder, which contains talc, filling it in the cracks. In addition to the slotted formations, it is possible to hammer down wedges made of wood. If after the done work there is no result, then the wooden products are screwed with screws.
- A common method is the use of self-tapping screws. On the sections of the wooden floor, where the squeak is heard, holes are drilled, 2 mm in size and screws are screwed to the very end. The upper part of the screw is removed, and the place of its installation is shpaklyuyut. This solution will help to eliminate a minor creak of the wooden floor. In the case of strong sound, plastic dowels with screws are used, which are deepened into a concrete screed by 40 mm. Planks from the tongue also have the property of cracking and cracking over time, so to fix them to the wooden floor use screws that provide a countersunk head. The thing is that in most cases, those wooden products that are weakly attached to lags or overlapping beams creak. If the problem really is this, then this method will no doubt help.
- The third method is more laborious and requires more effort. If there is not enough money for overhaul, then the pins come to the rescue. In the place where the wooden floor creaks in the apartment, at the junction of the boards holes are drilled, in diameter 10-12 mm, leaving a distance of up to 30 cm. Using the high-quality PVA glue, the prepared pins are pressed. After this, it is necessary to clean the wooden floor, and it will no longer creak.
- In order not to creak the parquet, wooden products are fixed to the logs with rounded screws, at a distance of 5 cm. The electric drill, in which the speed of rotation is regulated, will facilitate the work process. But if in some places the wooden floor still creaks, then in the wooden boards you need to make a hole, with a diameter of 6 mm and pour in the mounting foam, but do not overdo it.
- The simplest, budgetary and grandfather's method of eliminating the creaking of a wooden floor is to insert a wedge between the creaking floorboards. To do this, a wedge is removed from the appropriate board, coated with glue and punched into the slot, and then the flap is flush with the floor
- There is another long-lasting and reliable method, which will relieve 100% of the annoying and unpleasant squeak. These are metal anchors. The method is very reliable, but it requires investment of resources and great efforts. The principle of operation consists in the through installation of an anchor that will pass through the wooden floor and transverse beams, rushing into the concrete. Under it, prepare a special outer shell, which is made of metal, thus strengthening the lag. The upper part of the anchor will not be visible from the outside, since the size of the hole from above is drilled with a larger diameter nozzle. Experts recommend installing anchors around the perimeter of the room. According to the rules, the distance between products should be within 1m, but the less, the better. The calculation will determine how many anchors will be needed.
- If the bug is troubled on a flat surface, then you can apply the plywood to eliminate it. Everything is simple. The material should not be thinner than 12 mm, cut into small squares and strengthened from above on a dry wooden floor with screws or special glue. It is necessary to leave distances between squares measuring 10 mm and lay them at an angle in relation to the direction of the arrangement of the boards.
- Replace old screws and nails. This is a fairly reliable method, but also labor-intensive due to the fact that the old wooden floor can be modernized without completely dismantling it. It is necessary to thoroughly check the entire floor, each section, to replace all old fasteners with new parts. Of course, it is better to exclude nails altogether, because in time they will rust, and the boards will dry up, thus causing shrinkage of the floor, hence its creaking. The best option, as mentioned above, is the screws or screws. In some cases, this method allows you to completely and permanently get rid of unpleasant sound. Before dealing with the screed, you need to check all the beams and boards. If there are rotten, deformed or dry, they should be replaced with new ones. After the work done, in places where the creak was heard, it is possible to insure with mounting foam.
A careful and competent approach to the work will do, even the oldest wooden floor is quiet, as if it were made of cork material.
More clearly, what to do so that the wooden floors do not creak can be seen on the video:
Classification of laminate by classes and types
Types of semi-commercial linoleum: technical specifications
Stacking of parquet flooring by one's own hands: methods, technology
Which linoleum is better for choosing at home